Thursday 6 October 2016

Using your personal network to grow your business



One of the greatest assets that an individual can have when starting a business is a good group of friends.  No one will support your business venture more than your circle of friends and associates when you decide to take the big leap. 

When I announced just over two months ago that I would be starting my blog: ‘Marketing Tips for Startups’ … https://sanciacampbell.blogspot.com/ – the loudest approval came from my over 600 Facebook friends and associates.  Persons who were dormant on my friends list for years came out of the wood work to congratulate me and wish me well.  And for those who I told, they were just as encouraging.

Your friends or personal network; both those online and those with whom you physically interact daily is a great resource from which you can get invaluable information.  As they are potentially your first set of ‘clients’ they can help you to determine customer needs, test products and product ideas, get valuable feedback and connect with new clients through referrals and recommendations.

Particularly if your friends are influential and knowledgeable, they can prove to be an even greater asset to your business.  One great, well publicized product testimonial could have new clients flocking to your business in no time. 

Your online network can also help to boost your online presence.  I have a small group of friends on my FB page who are always ‘liking’ and ‘sharing’ my business posts, this of course, results in increased ‘reach’ for my posts and the likelihood that persons outside of my network of friends will become acquainted with my business. 

Endorsements from one or two influential friends can also help to authenticate your journey as an entrepreneur.   And because they are your friends and what to see you succeed, you can actually ask them for help.  They can recommend you to persons and organizations who could use your product or service as well as identify consultants or other resource personnel who can help you set up your business.

The key thing however is not to take your friendships for granted.  Don’t always expect their input, but accept it when it comes.  And if and when you can, reward them for their assistance.  Depending of the type of business, rewards can come in various ways; it may be a gift certificate or providing them with some useful information; and don’t be afraid to ‘big them up’; in public for their support!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

WHAT'S WORKING IN MARKETING IN 2024

Here are five marketing strategies working for small businesses in 2024 OTT Advertising OTT advertising or Over-the-top advertising, is ...